Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ham Salad, Pimento Cheese, Chicken Salad, Turkey Salad

-

My first trip cross country alone was in 1973. I was heading to California. I had been transferred from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida to Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, California. I flew to Kansas City from Jax, where I bought a brand new 1973 Camaro, bright red of course. I hit the road on March 1st. It was snowing as I left Liberty, a little town outside of KC. Elmer, from across the street, who was also my best friends Dad, and who was a truck driver mapped out my route. I-35 south, to US-54, to the I-40/ Route 66 taking me into California. That was Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

Since then, I have driven cross country many times, but something that my Dad did for that first trip is a must. Dad made up some ham salad and some pimento cheese sandwiches. I think there were a half dozen of each in my styrofoam cooler on that trip.

Now ham salad, pimento cheese, turkey salad, and chicken salad all take a special kitchen tool if you want to make them right. That tool is a meat grinder or some call it a food grinder.

My sister, Elaine bought me one for Christmas in the 70's and from one marriage to the next, I lost it. I bought one at a garage sale, but it had suction cups to hold it steady. That didn’t work. So I found one in an old hardware store with a screw clamp that holds it securely to a table or counter top. Now days, I use my grinder attachment on our Kitchen Aid.

The grinder is absolutely necessary for grinding the meats, cheese, pimento, and sweet pickles. Trust me, it’s just not the same chopped. Believe me, I’ve tried it.

Now, as you know, I hate when people tell me “season to taste” in a recipe. I mean I absolutely hate it. Here’s the exceptions cause I’ve never measured anything for any of these recipes. It’s all to looks and taste. So grind ‘em up and mix ‘em together. I’ve never made a bad batch.

I’ve had people tell me “this is just like my grandma used to make” or “like my Mom’s.” Apparently, no one has grinders. It’s really easy.

Pimento Cheese
One block sharp cheddar
Pimento
Miracle Whip

Ham Salad
One pound bologna
Pimento
Sweet pickles
Miracle Whip
Salt

Turkey or Chicken Salad
same as Ham salad except you substitute the meats. It works best with breasts (white meat).

There ya go. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to add a little onion and celery to my Ham Salad. Never have done Pimento. Might have to try that. I also use my Kitchen Aid but do have a hand grinder also

    ReplyDelete