Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Beef Stroganoff Revisited




Since I posted the crock pot version of this recipe in March 2011, I’ve made it a couple times and got a little feedback. It’s been coming out too thin.

So, I made a few changes and when I made it last night, my wife said that it is the best I’ve done.

I suggest you go back to the March post and then read on, but if not, the recipe is in full.




1 lb beef
Salt and pepper
½ onion chopped
1 tblspn minced garlic
¾ lb sliced fresh mushrooms (or 1 can)
2 tblspn butter
3 tblspn flour
10 oz can beef broth (or consommé)
1 tblspn ketchup
½ cup wine
1 cup sour cream

Place beef, onion, and garlic in crockpot. Salt and pepper. Cook on low all day (you can cook on high for less time, but make sure meat is fall apart tender).
About an hour and a half before dinner time, put the mushrooms in with the meat. (Remember my tip on slicing fresh mushrooms)
At dinner time, shake the flour, broth, ketchup, and wine.
Heat butter in skillet until melted then add flour, broth, ketchup, and wine.
Drain meat, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Cut the meat into bite sized pieces then add it all to skillet. Heat on medium to a boil and stir until gravy thickness.
Stir in the cup of sour cream. Reduce to low heat (simmer).
Cook noodles according to package, drain (rinse if desired.)
Serve Stroganoff over noodles.


Notice, just a little more wine this time. Plus don’t forget to give the dogs the leftover fat. You’ll also notice that instead of adding left over tomato paste to your ketchup bottle, I simplified it by just using ketchup.

Now I’m hungry. Luckily, I got some left over Beef Stroganoff.
Enjoy!

1 comment: