Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rosemary's Baby / St Cloud Cocktail


A couple years ago, I got interested in genealogy.  It happened by accident but I got hooked and have enjoyed many hours researching my relatives.  I never met my paternal grandfather and had to use my investigative experience to find him.  He had changed his name slightly, changed his birthplace, and even his birth year came into question.  Ultimately, the way I found him was in his brother’s obituary.  Finding him opened a new branch of the family.  I have a second cousin named Carl.  Carl probably has no clue that I even exist but I’ve researched him just the same.  One afternoon, I found Carl listed in a blog by a Julia Reed.  Julia is a friend of Carl and his wife.  They apparently have a very good catering business.  The story goes that Carl was in Boston and stumbled upon a drink called the St Cloud at the Aquataine French Bistro.  The aquataineboston.com menu says the St. Cloud is Svedka Vodka, grapefruit, Rosemary Essence, and lime zest.  Julia did some experimatnation and came up with her recipe that is listed on her website www.fetchmagbytaigan.com/food-drink/rosemarys-baby

Anyone following my blog knows that I have rosemary growing in my back yard in abundance and I’m always looking for ways to use it.  I also have a grapefruit tree, so this recipe is a natural for me plus it is very, very good.  Julia describes it as tasting “seriously like the nectar of the gods.”  Thanks Julia for a great recipe.  Tell Carl I said hello.

Rosemary’s Baby

“First, make the simple syrup by boiling two cups sugar and two cups water for a few minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved. Take the pot off the heat and steep a healthy handful of rosemary branches in the syrup. Leave it on the counter to cool with the herbs for 30 minutes to an hour (rosemary is so strong you don’t need to do it any longer to get the full effect). Remove branches and strain syrup. This will keep refrigerated in a jar for at least a month, which is why I always make at least two cups of the stuff.

While the syrup is cooling, squeeze fresh grapefruits (the Texas pink variety is sweetest and prettiest) to make as much juice as you need. Strain through a wire mesh strainer, and chill. Put a healthy jigger of ice cold vodka in a highball glass, and top with the chilled grapefruit juice. Stir in a couple of tablespoons of the rosemary syrup and taste (depending on the sweetness of the juice, you may need more). Garnish with a rosemary sprig.”

As always, ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment