Sunday, June 10, 2012

Smokin’


Last week I was looking at BBQ grills.  I have a nice one and don’t know why I look, but I do anyway.  This time of year (spring) they always have a good selection.  Anyway, I saw a nice upright, Charbroil, gas smoker ON SALE!  I’ve wanted one forever, so I looked at the wife, who said “Happy Father’s Day.” Even though, the holiday is weeks away, I knew that she meant to get it and don’t expect anything else ‘cept maybe a card.

Smokers are so easy to use and the food comes out great.  You soak some wood chips.  I like hickory and apple but have used citrus.  You can buy them at the grocer or hardware store.  Don’t use plywood or treated lumber though….  I soak ‘em for about two hours but they say (whoever they are) 30 minutes is enough.  I throw about half package in a bucket and let ‘em soak.  I pull out what I need and let the rest stay n the water.  Fire up the smoker and put some water in for steam and put the wood chips in the smoke box.  (Men, read the directions that come with the smoker!) Use your favorite rub on some meat of throw in some veggies or both and let ‘er cook.  The smoker will slow cook at about 200-250.  If your heat starts going higher, you need to add some water, or turn it down a notch.  Veggies only take an hour or so, but meat will need to cook ‘til it’s the right temperature.  My pork butt took about six and a half hours to get it to 170 internal temp degrees (measured with a meat thermometer.  Baby backs are the best on a smoker.  And chicken… Mmmmmm!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment