Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chili

There are literally millions of chili recipes. My wife likes her's soupy and throws in lots of oyster crackers. I don't turn it down but I like mine thick enough to put on a hot dog. We both like chili with beans. She used to use strictly kidney beans but I have convinced her to use chili beans. She still uses one can kidney beans and one can chili beans. I’ve made mine without beans strictly for use on hotdogs.

Give ‘em both a try, depending on your mood.



Barbi’s Chili- a quick and easy recipe for a chili night

1 lb hamburger
1 white onion
2 cans red kidney beans
1 can Campbell’s tomato soup
1 tblspn flour
2 tblspn chili powder
1 teaspoon salt

Brown hamburger and onion. Drain
In kettle mix beans, tomato soup, and one can water.
In a small bowl mix flour, chili powder, 3 tblspn cold water, and salt. Mix well then add to kettle.
Add the hamburger and onions. Stir
Simmer 45 min to 1 hour minimum
stir occasionally

I call my recipe Chief’s Chili because it’s a variation of my Dad’s recipe. His name is Chief. He's the leader of our tribe.

You’ll notice the recipe calls for a block of chili. What this is, is Mexican style chili con carne without beans. It comes in either a block or tube and is made with lard, spices, and beef. Dad uses Rice’s brand but my sister told me at Christmas that Rice’s quit making it after over 50 years. I never could get Rice’s in California so I settle for whatever I can get. In my store, it’s over by the cold cuts and cheeses. I’ve substituted some canned chili (two cans). It was good, but just not the same. I’ve heated a block by itself and put it on chili dogs. Another time, just the block and some hamburger. It works well, but I wouldn’t recommend a bowl of it.

I gave my recipe to a guy one time because he liked it enough that he said he was gonna put it in a chili cookoff. When he read the recipe, he said he couldn’t use it because it wasn’t homeade since we use the block chili.

Now, the recipe calls for a tablespoon of salt. That may be a bit much for some. I would skip it and as my brother says “salt to taste.”

You may not win any cookoffs with this stuff but you’ll like it, I guarantee! Don’t forget to top with shredded cheddar or just a good ol’ slice of Velveta.

Chief’s Chili

1 brown onion
1 ½ lb hamburger
1 block chili
1 can Mexican style tomatoes
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon each catsup (or ketchup), Heinz 57 sauce, salt, Worceshershire sauce, and kitchen bouquet.

Cook the hamburger and onion. Drain if you want.
Add the block and heat until it melts.
Add everything else and simmer for at least an hour.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment