Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tartar Sauce

Growing up in Kansas City, one of my favorite places to eat was the Forum Cafeteria. The best entree on the line was the Fried Whiting fish. I would usually get fried potatoes and corn to go with it. The best part though, was the tartar sauce they served with it.

Over the years, I tried to duplicate the tartar sauce but always came up short. As it turned out, I was trying to make the recipe too difficult. When we moved to San Jacinto in 1989 and started looking for places to eat locally, we found a Furr’s Cafeteria in Hemet (a neighboring city.) To my delight Furr’s had a tartar sauce similar to the Forum’s. I asked the manager if I could get the recipe and she told me “Fat Chance.”

At that time, I was a Deputy Sheriff in Orange County and commuting 70 miles each day, one way. In 1991, I was hired as an officer in Hemet. One of my many, many jobs, was going to burglar alarms. Furr’s closed in the early 90's but before they did, I was lucky enough to be dispatched there for an alarm call. Upon my arrival, I met with store manager Drew McKaig. McKaig apologized and told me that he had mistakenly set the alarm off. I told McKaig that my brother had sent me some fish and I would be eternally grateful if he would give me the tartar sauce recipe. To my surprise, he said “Sure, why not.” He went inside and came out with a 3x5 index card where he had hastily written the recipe for me.

Here it is:

1 ½ gallons mayonaise
3 cups onion
3 quarts chopped dill pickle
1 ½ cups chopped fresh parsley

I divided it down for home use

1 cup mayo
3 tblspn onion
½ cup chopped dill pickle
1 ½ tblspn fresh chopped parsley

Now how easy is that. One of the problems I always had in duplicating was that I used sweet pickle relish and salad dressing like miracle whip. Then I would always see recipes adding a plethura of other things. I do like to add pimento when I have company coming. It gives it a little color.

I used this recipe in it’s full version at the Elks Lodge fish fry and it was a huge success. Now, I’ve never been one to refuse giving out recipes. I’ve known many, many people who won’t give recipes out. I never could understand that except for restaurants and those making money off their recipes. But, the average person... I think it’s just something people grow up with, never give away family secrets.

I got an email the other day from my niece Jessica. She likes the tartar sauce recipe from Bubba Gump’s Shrimp Co Cookbook p 104.

c. mayo
1/4c. chopped dill pickle
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
2 tsp capers
2 tsp grated onion (I just mince it)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp prepared mustard (I used spicy brown)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine all ingredients cover and chill.

With tartar sauce, I always make it at least a day in advance. That way the flavors have a chance to marry, and as Jessie says “the sugar needs a chance to incorporate properly.”

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment