Thursday, February 25, 2010

Time For Dessert - Lemon Chiffon Pie

In my side yard we have two orange trees, two plum, one lime, one grapefruit, and one lemon. The lemons are ready to harvest. If I let them hang much longer, they’ll start to fall. I made some lemonade, put slices in our water at every meal, trying to find every use for them, and am giving away as many as I can. I grabbed the cookbooks and what jumped out at me was the Lemon Chiffon Pie recipe. Although it only calls for one lemon and a half lemon peel, I started drooling for Lemon Chiffon.

The following recipe comes once again from a recipe of the Cordon Bleu Cookery School. It’s in the Gran Diplome Cooking Course. It was fairly easy. The only trouble I ran into was towards the end of the recipe. Be sure to whip the cream prior to mixing it into the meringue. If you don’t, it won’t come out as fluffy as it should.

The recipe itself tells how to make the graham cracker crust which I’ll show you, but I cheated and picked up a premade one at the grocery store. I made one before so I know it's good. I used it for cheesecake.

Baked Graham Cracker Crust

1 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup softened butter

9 inch loose-based pie pan

Method:

In a bowl combine ingredients and blend until crumbly. Press evenly over bottom and sides of pie pan. Bake shell in moderately hot oven (375 degrees F) for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Lemon Chiffon Pie

9 inch baked graham cracker crust

For filling:
½ envelope gelatin
2 Tblspn cold water
2 eggs, seperated
½ cup sugar
pinch of salt
juice of 1 lemon and grated peel of ½ lemon
½ cup heavy cream, whipped until it holds a soft shape

Method:
Make pie shell and cool.
In a small sauce pan sprinkle geletin over cold water and let stand for 5 minutes or until spongey.
Meanwhile, beat egg yolks with half the sugar, the salt, lemon juice and peel until light and creamy.
Pour into double boiler and cook, stirring over gentle heat until mixture is the consistency of heavy cream. Remove from heat.
Dissolve gelatin over a pan of hot water and stir into lemon mixture. Cool, stirring occasionally.
Beat egg whites until they hold a stiff peak and beat in remaining sugar a spoonful at a time until this meringue is smooth and glossy.
When lemon mixture starts to set, beat until smooth and fold into meringue with the whipped cream.
Pour into pie shell and chill until set. Take from refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.

There ya go. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment