Monday, November 14, 2011

Prime Rib


This week , our favorite grocer has rib roast on sale for $3.99 a pound. I jumped on the opportunity and bought one for tonight’s dinner and a couple more for the freezer.

We like the rib roast because, well, it’s prime rib. The dogs like it because they get a bone.

I’ve always said that I hate ordering something in a restaurant that I can do better at home. I am happy to say, prime rib is no longer on the restaurant menu.




They are so easy to cook and oh so good. Since there’s only two of us, I usually only get a 3-4 pound, two rib roast. I like the two rib like I said, because I’ve got two dogs.

When ya get it home rinse it off, rub it down with some vinegar and set it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it. I use a red wine vinegar. When you are ready to start cooking, fire up the oven on bake at 325 degrees. While it’s warming up, put just a touch more vinegar on it. Don’t worry it’ll cook off. You need it to hold on the kosher salt you’re gonna rub into it next. Finish the process with some coarse ground or cracked black pepper. This is called “pepper encrusted.”

Pop ‘er in the oven. I use a glass baking dish with a wire meat rack on it. Place the roast on the rack. I prefer the bone down but I have trouble with a small roast wanting to fall over, so I put it bone up. (With a larger roast, definitely bone down.)


Cook it for about 2 ½ hours checking the temperature of the meat with a meat thermometer after the the first 1 ½ hours and every half hour after. When the internal roast temperature gets to 140, you got a rare prime rib. 150 is medium rare and 160 is medium. I always make sure I get at least 140 but never let it go above 160. Just a matter of taste. If you want, 170 is well done, and anything higher is a waste of money. Throw an old shoe in the oven, and get a sharp knife.

Ok, how simple is that?

Prime rib is traditionally served with au jus and a horseradish/sour cream. I like it like that, but…

If you read my Tournedoes Chasseur recipe in Feb 2010, you’ll know that I like chausseur (hunter style.) Since then, I have perfected this sauce for simplicity.

The original recipe for Chasseur Sauce calls for shallots. I use just a half of a regular ol’ onion either thinly sliced or chopped. Then the recipe calls for 1 ½ teaspoons of tomato paste. What the heck do ya do with the rest of the can? It usually ends up getting tossed, so I have replaced it with ketchup. I like Heinz. I also increased the mushrooms to a ½ pound. I use fresh cremini mushrooms because my grocer always has them. Rinse them, dry them, and slice them with your egg slicer. Lastly, I increased the flour from 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons. I just like a thicker sauce. If you like a thinner sauce, stick with the original.

Here’s what your recipe card will look like.

Prime Rib
Rinse then rub roast with vinegar
Cover with kosher or margarita salt
then with coarse or cracked black pepper
bake on a meat rack over pan at 325 degrees
until internal temperature is 140-160
Give bones to dogs, slice and eat the meat.

Chasseur Sauce
½ pound sliced mushrooms
½ onion (sliced or chopped)
Saute mushrooms and onions in 2 tablespoons butter
In a shaker blend:
1 ½ teaspoons ketchup
2 tablespoons flour
1 can beef broth
Dash, pinch or a shake each Salt and pepper
Add to mushrooms and onions
Cook til thick and bubbly. Serve over prime rib.

It is Fantastic!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment